A solar air conditioner is any indoor air conditioning device powered by solar energy. The sun is most active in the hot seasons, and air conditioning is indispensable. But its constant use is negatively reflected in electricity bills.
If a solar system is installed in the household, it is advisable to connect a solar-powered air conditioner to it. What are the advantages of solar air conditioning, can a solar panel power an air conditioner, on what principle does solar power air conditioning work, and whether the costs are commensurate with the savings will tell the material.
Why Are Solar Powered Air Conditioners Necessary?
Air conditioning systems in the country use about 10% of household electricity consumption per year, which translates into a phenomenal amount of $11 billion. But cooling houses has a second negative side – harmful emissions into the environment, approximately 130 million tons of carbon dioxide per year.
Therefore, switching to solar-powered air conditioning can significantly reduce the financial cost of electricity and the carbon footprint on the environment. The number of consumers switching to energy-saving technologies for the electricity production is increasing every year, indicating citizens’ social responsibility.
Whichever solar power air conditioning system you choose, a central cooling system, window, or mini-air conditioner will be the right solution for personal comfort and energy independence.
Solar Air Conditioning Advantages
As with installing solar panels, the main problem is that air conditioner solar power requires a significant initial investment. But this disadvantage is offset by the advantageous features.
Source: FOSHAN MARS SOLAR TECHNOLOGY
- Reducing power consumption: Turning on conventional AC split systems consumes a lot of power, and the network is overloaded when the air conditioners operate on hot days, and power outages occur. Using a solar-powered air conditioning unit removes the load from the central grid, reducing the frequency of outages.
- Environmental aspect: Carbon dioxide emissions exacerbate the greenhouse effect and negatively affect external harm and human health. Solar energy air conditioners do not affect the environment and do not emit greenhouse gases.
- Savings on utility bills: Installing a solar energy air conditioner will help reduce the power supply from the central power grid by 50% or more, depending on the climatic features of the place of residence. Such savings will allow you to quickly offset the cost of installing a solar HVAC system.
- Increasing the value of the real estate: Equipping a house with solar-power air conditioning systems isometimes increases real estate costs. Buyers willingly agree to pay more, acquiring partial or complete energy independence.
A house with a solar-run air conditioner will maintain a comfortable atmosphere in any weather outside.
Smart AC Controllers from Cielo
Technology improves all the equipment that people use, and solar power central air is no exception. Some smart device brands like Cielo developed various types of smart remote controls for solar power air conditioner units. The Cielo controller interfaces with an IR remote control with windows, mini-split units, and portable air conditioners.
Source: Cielo WiGle
The controller connects to Wi-Fi and allows you to control solar air conditioning from any gadget. The user can set the following:
- Required room temperature
- The humidity level
Using a smart gadget from Cielo, you can schedule when and with what power the solar panel air conditioner should work. This intelligent control saves energy, maintains a healthy home climate, and improves life’s convenience. The controller has many options. In case of unavailability of the Internet network, the functions of turning on/off the solar-powered air cooler are provided.
Options for Solar-powered Air Conditioning
Solar-powered air conditioners for homes can be of several types, depending on the way the split system is powered:
- AC solar air conditioner
- Direct current
- Hybrid installations
- Absorption heat conditioners
Each type has advantages and disadvantages that must be considered when choosing air conditioning equipment.
This type of air conditioner works by direct connection to solar panels. The device can also be powered by a battery charged with solar energy, which ensures the autonomous operation of the split system. Photovoltaic solar panels are in use to run the air conditioner. The advantages of the device are the following:
- Easy start of the air conditioner
- Minimal equipment costs
- Ease of installation and maintenance
The disadvantage of solar DC air conditioners is purchasing a large-capacity battery to power the house at night.
AC Cooling Equipment
Solar power AC systems are more common in air conditioners. For the cooling equipment to work, an inverter is required to convert the direct current from the panels into an alternating current. The benefits of using solar AC are the following:
- The ability of the air conditioner to operate both from solar energy and from a network with alternating electric current;
- Excess energy, if the air conditioner is connected to the central power grid, can be returned to the network and receive loans under a special program – net meter.
The cooling device can use the energy that passes through the inverter and is stored in the batteries.
The peculiarity of this type of chiller is that AC and DC can be used for solar power. The advantages of installations are the following:
- Smooth switching between grid and energy from solar panels
- Opportunities to work in all seasons and hours of the day
- Lower costs due to no need for additional equipment
The downside is that the split system needs to be connected to the network or charged batteries at night.
The fan drive and chiller heat pump are powered by energy from solar panels for air conditioning. They are in use in devices that produce cold air through evaporation, and a battery charged by a solar station can power them.
How Does a Solar AC Operate?
The operation of the air conditioner with solar panels is to convert solar radiation into energy, which is used to power split systems. Solar-powered AC unit collects solar radiation by using the following:
- Photovoltaic systems – familiar panels
- Thermal – solar energy is in use to heat water. It converts the refrigerant into a gas that absorbs heat, cooling the room’s air.
Some systems operate only on solar energy to ensure autonomous solar air cooling. Their efficiency is great, but a more practical option is hybrid installations.
Considerations for Switching To Solar-Powered AC
Solar to run air conditioners is a promising direction. When switching to solar air conditioners, there are several factors to consider:
- Climate: Different areas receive sunlight in different amounts, so the volume of the solar station will be different, which will affect the cost of installations.
- Parameters of the house: The larger the size of the house, the more solar panel to power air conditioners would be necessary to buy.
- The need for a battery: For people living in areas with little sunlight, it is important to choose the right batteries that will store energy and deliver on cloudy days and at night.
- Return on investment: Whichever solar-powered AC system the user chooses, the equipment will pay off quickly.
Solar panel AC units have different power and size. It is important to calculate the required power needed to provide the house and choose a device that meets the energy needs.
How Much Do Solar-powered Air Conditioners Cost?
The cost of solar-powered AC air conditioners is variable. The total price for homeownership will depend on the following:
- Solar panels for AC
- Charge controller
The air conditioner costs from 2000 to 5000 dollars, depending on the type and power. Small cooling systems can be purchased starting at $500. In terms of payback and efficiency, thermal blocks prevail over photovoltaic ones.
You can take advantage of tax incentives, but it is worth checking their relevance at the time of purchase; each promotion for installing AC solar panels has an expiration date. Not all types of solar air conditioners are available on the market; detailed information about the availability of devices should be obtained from installers.
Brands of Solar Air Conditioning
There are enough companies on the market that produce solar-powered air conditioners. But you should buy expensive equipment from brands with a good reputation. Among them are these companies:
- SolAir World
- HotSpot Energy
Under these brands, the best AC solar panel and air conditioners are sold.
Is It Worth Switching to Solar Air Conditioning?
You can significantly save on utility bills by installing a solar-powered central air conditioner, window, or mini-split system powered by AC solar system. The frightening upfront cost is not so great if you use the benefits from the government, which are outstanding on solar panels AC.
Every year the equipment becomes more affordable. The number of houses using solar power AC is growing, so why not apply a solar system for air conditioners? Clean energy is also an investment in the environment.
The more electricity a house needs, the more appropriate it is to use AC solar power to cover the electricity needs. Also, the AC solar system is the first step towards complete energy independence.
- Florida Solar One review
- The Solar Exchange review
- Borrego review
- Boundless Inc. review
- Green Day Power review
- Mid-State Solar review
- Rennergy LLC review
- Tesla Energy review
- Simple Energy Works review
- A.M. Sun Solar review
- Diablo Solar Services review
- ABS Alaskan, Inc. review
- Reno Solar review
- National Solar review
- Solar Electric Texas review
- Solaria Energy Solutions review
- Prism Solar Technologies review
- American Solar Pros review
- Solar Titan USA review
- Altair Solar review